Alternative Learning Center

There has been much discussion (both with me and not) about my new position here in the high school, and the new program in which we are implementing this year.  Hopefully this blog will clear up some questions.  I have many questions myself at this point, but this is what I know so far:

The Alternative Learning Center (ALC) is NOT the same as In-School-Suspension (ISS).  In the past, ISS has been viewed as a dumping ground for students to serve a “sentence” as a result of breaking a rule.  While at ISS, students were unproductive, and almost unresponsive. 

The ALC will temporarily house students that have had behavioral issues in the school, but this center will be a working classroom.  Students will receive academic support for class assignments that need to be done.  In turn, teachers who recommend a student to attend the ALC will provide appropriate assignments for those students to work on while at the ALC.   Students will also receive behavioral support in the forms of Conflict Resolution and Character Education.  Hopefully, this will take a more proactive approach and help the students to own their learning experiences and academic future.

Teachers here in the high school are encouraged to sit on a committee that will develop and over-see some of the curriculum that will be introduced to these students.

Here are a few links to websites from other schools that have adopted this philosophy.